Friday, February 25, 2011

Continuing Conversation with a NextGen travel advisor

I asked Lindsey if she minded that we blog our conversation....
Grace,
I don't mind at all, I'm flattered that you asked!
As far as the 30 year old woman, (a possible new advisor for us at PHT) I guess it depends on the set-up. As an IC, I'm solely commission based and within this first year I've made roughly the equivalent of someone who works full time at minimum wage. When you consider the fact that I was doing it part time while going to school full time, I actually think that's a pretty good amount to have earned on the side. When I think about taking the IC career full time as a single girl in my 20s, it scares me that I'll be relying completely on commission, just because that fluctuates so much. It can also be beneficial at times – if you make yourself, you can far exceed a salaried job. I'm also very fortunate to have the support of my parents – they've been so accommodating with letting me move back in and helping me out during the first couple years of being in the real world!
With all of that being said, it has taken me a solid year to build up a good client base and the way I've done that was mainly through attending bridal shows – it's good to give an IC a niche because it's a good place to start. I started learning about the honeymoon industry and along the way, I picked up leads from professors, family friends, etc. I think my career was definitely jump-started by working the bridal shows, though, so 2 years would be a pretty good estimate to build those clients. As far as the 5-years to make a living good enough to be just and advisor, I would imagine that's about right – since I'm only going on year 2 of my career, it's hard to say.

Hope that helps, and please let me know if there's anything else I can answer for you – I'm excited about this conversation and do hope that it can benefit others.

Best,

Lindsey

No comments: