Wednesday, June 3, 2009

My summer road trip

I have decided to take some time off early this summer, pack my bags, boyfriend and dog and hit the road for a week or so. Just an old fashioned American road trip. A few choice destinations, then where ever the road leads. We are first stopping somewhere in the North Georgia mountains. I found a pet friendly resort where we hope to rent a cabin for 3 nights, visit old friends in Atlanta, and hike around the woods near Dahlonega and Helen. Just sitting on the wrap around porch at night, in the woods, will be absolutely refreshing! Then we'll head north, maybe stop in Charlotte, again visiting friends, before heading up towards Washington DC and Maryland. We both have wanted to see the Native American Museum, and will leave my dog Lou with friends that have 10 acres just north of DC. I don't think we'll spend much more time in DC, we both have already seen most of the sights there. From there, we'll head south down I-95 to South Carolina. I'm trying to get one night at a Virtuoso resort property so we'll at least have one luxurious evening. Then a visit with some family and maybe a day along the South Carolina beach coast. And of course we won't miss Charleston. We may stop at South of the Border in South Carolina, on US 301...if anyone remembers stopping there with their folks when you were young, you'll remember what a treat that was. I hope it's still there. On our way back to South Florida, we'll stop in north Florida, staying in an area of crystal rivers, tubing or canoeing a day away. If we see anything anywhere along the way, I'll be sure to stop for a look see. Some think a road trip takes too much time and is too much trouble, but I see it as a relaxing way to actually see where I'm going. My own time table. No airline mess, no crowds. I'll let you know how it turns out!

No comments: