Friday, March 20, 2009

A tribute to my father, world traveler

My father, Robert Berman, passed away March 11th. While it was not unexpected, you are never prepared for the reality of that final day. His suffering is over. And he has left many memories for all who knew him. My father was a world traveler. He and my mother married very young, but that didn't stop them from vacationing, even with 4 kids. They would go to Paris for dinner, New York for theater. There were the ubiquitious fishing trips all over the world; Costa Rica, East and South Africa, Baja, and always the Florida Keys. My father went to China with a business delegation from the Nixon Administration. My parents took me to South America for a month in my senior year of high school. They owned a home in the country of Panama and visited often, along with many friends. Friends were always invited to join in traveling. They cruised on almost every cruiseline, to almost every port in the world. My father loved to drive. He would just get in a car and go. Sometimes following maps and a schedule, sometimes turning wherever looked interesting. Anywhere in the world. My parents visited Europe many, many times. Then the Africa bug took hold. First East Africa, Kenya and Tanzania, then South Africa. He made sure all 9 of his grandchildren were able to visit Africa. All told they have been 28 times. He collected art from all the places he had been, and that artwork is a legacy in his home. He had great taste. When he retired from his own business, he became more involved with the travel agency and never missed an opportunity to attend the many conferences and seminars required in todays travel business. His last trip was to Virtuoso's TravelMart in August of 2008. His last cruise was on one of the first Azamara cruises to South America. At his funeral we weren't surprised at the number of suppliers and vendor representatives that came. It was an honor. His advice will be missed. But his memory will remain. I love you ,dad, and thank you for the opportunities to travel with you.

No comments: